Good vegan recipes are the heart of this blog, especially if they have something to do with Filipino cuisine.
It doesn’t matter if I come up with them or somebody else, that is why I encourage and welcome guest bloggers to share their recipes on this site as well. I’m passionate about promoting my fellow Astig Vegans who never cease to amaze me with their creative ideas. The world ought to know about them!
Without further ado, Will Peji aka “The Vegan Pinoy”, shares his spectacular dessert recipe, Ube Halaya.
Vegan Ube Halaya / Purple Yam
by: Will Peji aka The Vegan Pinoy
I love anything Ube and who doesn’t. I remember when I was young, my family and I would visit the province to celebrate the town’s Fiesta. We visited each of our relatives’ house where they all have Ube Halaya for desserts.
I knew making it vegan wouldn’t be hard, here’s the result.
Enjoy and Mabuhay Gulay!
- 1 lb frozen grated Ube (Purple Yam) Thawed
- 1 cup Turbinado Sugar/Brown Sugar
- 1 can Coconut Milk (I used light one for this)
- 1/4 cup Vegan Butter
- 4-6 Servings
- Heat cooking pot then put in butter and let it melt
- Add coconut milk and let it boil
- Add Brown Sugar stir well
- Lower the heat then add the ube mix well
- Stir occasionally until the ube becomes thick about 15-20 mins.
- Put Ube in a mold or container and let it cool I used soup bowl for this one
- Refrigerate to 2hrs and serve
Will Peji aka “The Vegan Pinoy”
“I’ve been vegan for more than 2 yrs. I’m a Marathon runner who ran the New York City Marathon last November under 5hrs. Born in Manila, raised in Bergen County, New Jersey, I am now living in South Jersey, a block away from the Shore. I’ve been veganizing all Filipino dish I know but never write the recipe. I guess I will now to share.”
To see other guest posts, click here
TJ & RG at AstigVegan would love to hear your own unique veg adventures to share with our readers.
Whether it be with an essay, photo, video, recipe, we’re excited to feature you!
Just email us at email@example.com