For me, inspiration comes from everywhere. Sometimes, I get inspiration from non-vegan things, like a Valentines Day recipe from the Martha Stewart Living Magazine. Funny thing is, I wasn’t a big fan of Martha Stewart until I became vegan. And you know that Martha Stewart is far from being vegan. But I guess it’s her love and passion for things beautiful and handmade that drew me to her work. So when I flipped through the pages of her magazine and found a recipe for rocky road bites, I knew I just had to veganize it.
These vegan rocky road bites are perfect as last-minute gift idea for Valentines Day because they’re easy to make. For the ingredients, all you need are dark chocolate, nut milk, vegan marshmallows (I used Dandies), almonds, and pretzels. That’s it. And you don’t have to bake anything. Just melt the chocolate, add the rest of the ingredients, top with more ingredients, and let them set in the fridge. For presentation, I like to serve them in mini cupcake containers. But you could be more creative and place them on cute Valentines Day stuff like heart-shaped pink plates or boxes.
- Using a double broiler, melt dark chocolate.
- Stir chocolate and gently pour milk. Stir continuously to fully blend milk and chocolate.
- Add sugar and salt. Adjust sweetener to taste.
- Gently mix-in few pieces of almonds and marshmallows. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Pour mixture to serving containers. Press down more almonds, marshmallows, and pretzels.
- Refrigerate for two hours or until hard and dry. Serve at room temperature.
Hopefully, Chris will like my Valentines gift for him. After all, it’s really me who is a big fan of rocky road! Since I was a kid, I’ve always loved rocky road. I love the crunchy nuts and chewy marshmallows blending well with the rich flavors of chocolate. Admittedly, the batch I have made for this post was for me, not Chris. Well, Valentines Day is not here yet! I will make a new batch for him on Tuesday. For now, I will indulge in these bites. Maybe I’ll share with my sisters. Maybe.
Happy Valentines Day everyone!
SHOP THE RECIPE: