Our AstigVegan holiday potluck was much smaller than our summer picnic. Some folks weren’t able to make it because they were either out of town or they were hosting family and friends who were in town-such to be expected during the holiday season.
The turnout was perfect though because my boyfriend’s apartment wouldn’t be able to accomodate a big crowd.
As for my other dish, Menudo, I thought of cooking it for the potluck and making it again for New Year’s Eve.
Filipinos often serve Menudo at parties and social gatherings perhaps because it has so many ingredients we’d like to save all the labor of chopping the ingredients to special occasions. Anyway, the vegan version cuts down the cooking time which makes it not only healthier but also a more convenient alternative.
Here’s how to veganize it:
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1-2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup garbanzo beans or chick peas (I like to peel the skin)
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup raisins or 3 mini boxes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pack vegan hotdogs, diced (sold at most stores)
- Seitan, diced (substitution for pig liver).
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- Fry the diced vegan hotdog on a large pan. Set aside and season with sea salt.
- Using the same pan, add garlic and fry until golden brown.
- Add the onions, tomatoes, and red bell pepper. Saute until tender.
- Add the tomato sauce and potatoes. Simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the tomato paste and mix well to thicken the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the carrots and garbanzo beans. Pour the soy sauce and adjust to taste.
- Add the Seitan, vegan hot dog, and raisins. The raisins will naturally sweeten the menudo.
- You’re done!
It’s really easy to make. The cooking time is approximately 30minutes yet it will result to similar taste of the traditional version.
Thanks to those who attended the Astig Vegan Holiday Party despite the chaos of the holidays. I look forward to the next get together!