This Vegan Bibingka Recipe could not get any easier. Bibingka is a sweet, spongy, Filipino rice cake that is traditionally with eggs and milk. It is usually topped with cheese or salted egg. For my vegan version, I smothered some delicious cashew cream on top.
And you know what they say, the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach so I decided to bake something delicious for my boyfriend Chris this Valentines Day. I planned to bake him Vegan Bibingka.
To stay with the Valentines Day theme, I bought few pieces of heart-shaped ramekins at the dollar store.
Yields 8 servings (the bibingka hearts pictured were just portion of the total yield).
*If you do not have ramekins, you may use mini muffin pans and mini cupcake containers.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 ounces)
- 1 sheet banana leaf (optional) (you can buy them at the frozen section of Asian supermarkets)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk the first five ingredients.
- Pour in coconut milk. Mix well.
- Grease your ramekins or muffin pans and pour in the mixture, filling them 3/4 of the way.
- Pop in the oven and place a sheet of banana leaf next to the pans to infuse flavor.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges have become medium brown.
- If transferring from muffin pan to a different container, let the cakes cool down first for easy transfer.
- Smother cashew cream on top (optional) (see recipe below for cashew cream).
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Few drops of lemon juice
- Using a high-speed blender, combine and puree the ingredients. Add more salt to taste.
- Set aside as topping for the Bibingka cake.
Bibingka is a wonderful dessert or sweet treat for this Valentines Day. Happy Hearts Day everyone!